Some call them medicine bags, mojos, mojo hands,
cris cris or charm bags.
I have been told different things to put in medicine bags by different
people. It depends on the tribe, family or nation. But a friend puts
corn meal or corn, sage, horse hair, feathers and crystals. I like the idea
of honoring the 3 sisters: Corn, beans, squash. I have dried corn,
a couple old dried beans, and pumpkin seeds in my medicine bag.
But for my car protection bag I have rice cause my car is from
Korea. And Horse hair cause it is said to bring protection in
traveling. The one by my front door has things like cinnamon and a
return address label.
So what you put in your bag is up to you!
First decide the bags job; as in one for protection.
Then pick the color of the material.
Some believe that it must be natural cloth.
Where others believe if it
is something recycled not trashed; it's is ok to use.
This is your decision or your covens.
Sew a drawstring bag or use a circle piece of material.
Inside put herbs, small charms, crystals, names or whatever you
feel important to the job of the bag.
Many people use the number 3 as in 3 herbs, 3 crystals and/or
(for the 3 phases of the goddess).
Charms can be used outside to make it look sharp.
However if you like you can place them inside.
Cleanse the crystals and charms
with salt water, sage smoke or light of a full moon.
What you do is your choice.
Tell the bag it's job.
As in what colors, herbs, and crystals but it is up to
Most of the time I just use leather (not dyed) or muslin.
Muslin is a off white fabric that doesn't
drain your checking account
Colors of material of bag
- Black for protection (absorbs all magick)or unhexing.
- Yellow for mental stimulation
- Red for love.
- Green for money.
- Brown for grounding.
- Blue for harmony
- Orange for creativity
- purple for power
- white for purity.
A few herb ideas
- Cinnamon- protection and love
- rose petals- love
- Cedar - female energy, protection
- Sage- cleansing, healing, protection
- Mint- protection, luck
- Nutmeg- luck and Fidelity
Crystals a few basics:
- Clear crystal quartz -a basic.
- Turquoise- protection, friendship and healing.
- Hematite - grounding and healing
- Obsidian - grounding and protection
- Amethyst - love
- Moonstone -female energy, grounding, sleep and protection
- Emerald, Adventurine or Tiger's-eye for money
Small charms can be things like:
- a heart for love
- Pentagram for protection
- Star for guidance and/or spirituality.
- Craft beads of airplanes, cars and etc.
- anything you feel that is important
Back to Crafts